Re: "Confederates In The Attic"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ US Civil War Message Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by on February 06, 19100 at 19:05:01:

In Reply to: "Confederates In The Attic" posted by Henry Drummond on October 29, 1999 at 08:35:23:

: Has anyone read "Confederates In The Attic"?
: Is this book a true story or a novel?
: Is it worth reading?

: Thanks!

I also have read "Confederates In The Attic," and found it an enjoyable read. It is equal parts sober and silly, IMHO. As already stated, it is his exploration into the epic mythology of "Lost Cause." He does manage to find some fantastic stereotypes, but also causes one to think, particularly when he talks to school age kids about the War. What he finds is that the Civil War enjoys only the haziest understanding among that group, and the gaps in perception are large. A scary thought, for those of us who revere history, and wish to pass along its lessons and values to our young.

His adventures with his reenactor pard, the "hard-core," are a complete hoot, but at the same time, I wish he had spent equal time with more ordinary reenactors. By that I mean, those who don't pee on their buttons to tarnish them, or practice "bloating" in roadside ditches. To the uninitiated, this portrayal could make folks think all reenactors or living historians are a bit whacko, which of course they are not.

But all in all, I think the book is well worth reading, it is a fast and entertaining work, and the man writes with keen wit, even without more perfect understanding. I do recommend it, and would give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ US Civil War Message Forum ] [ FAQ ]