Re: "Confederates In The Attic"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ US Civil War Message Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by on January 25, 19100 at 14:11:16:

In Reply to: "Confederates In The Attic" posted by Henry Drummond on October 29, 1999 at 08:35:23:

: Has anyone read "Confederates In The Attic"?
: Is this book a true story or a novel?
: Is it worth reading?

: Thanks!

I never read this book, but it was the reason for a lot of discussions in Germany. The reason for this was the statement that german
"Confederates" are all Nazis and racists. This is not true. Wolfgang Hochbruck, a german Reenactor who was interviewed by Tony Horwitz
published this statement on his homepage (http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/JanHochbruck).

German Confederate Reenactors Misrepresented
A statement by Wolfgang Hochbruck

Journalist Tony Horwitz, winner of the Pulitzer Price, has written one of the most fascinating and at the same time one of the
strangest books on the American Civil War that I have read so far. It is a very well-written book, witty and humorous at times,
with malice toward none -- well, almost, and I acknowledge with some regret that I am responsible for one of the few aspects
of the book that may attract criticism because the representation of its object, German Confederate reenactors, is unfair. Tony
and I met on the Shiloh battlefield on April 6, 1995, and he has turned the meeting and the conversations between him, me, and
my wife Sabine, into pp. 183-189 of his book. To sum up our representation in the book: "There was things which he
stretched, but mainly he told the truth." (Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn). Unfortunately, however, at the
time my experiences with German 'reenactors' in gray had been remarkably bad, and some stories I heard from others made
the impression I had even worse. So when Tony asked me why Germans reenacted the Civil War, I mentioned that I thought
that some of those reenacting 'Confederate' were projecting suppressed Nazi phantasies on the historical Confederates (p.
187). Since 1995, I learned that the people I had met and heard about were not really part of the German reenacting
community, and that their sentiments and opinions are in no way representative of the average Confederate reenactor. I am very
sorry if my 1995 impressions created a wrong image, and would like to encourage readers to keep this in mind when reading
what is, otherwise, an excellent book.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ US Civil War Message Forum ] [ FAQ ]