Re: petersburg

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ US Civil War Message Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by on December 01, 1999 at 08:18:17:

In Reply to: Re: petersburg posted by shari on December 01, 1999 at 07:14:35:

: : : I am reseaching an ancestor in the 106 PA Infantry. He was taken prisoner on June 22, 1864 (I think). It may have ben the engagement at Jerusalem Plank Road or Weldon R.R., outside of Petersburg. I wanted to see if anyone knows about this battle or the 106th.
: : : Shari

: : Shari,
: : I've been searching for information since you posted this on Monday, but I've not found anything worthwhile that you probably don't already know. Most of it is about Petersburg, with maybe a paragraph or so about Jerusalem Plank Road. I've nothing on the 106 PA Inf. Perhaps if you could give us your ancestors name, we might be able to dive a little deeper.

: : Elly

: elly,
: My ancestor's name was John Richards. He was in Company H of the 106th PA Infantry. He was taken prisoner somwhere around Petersburg, and sent to Andersonville, where he died in September of 1864. He is buried at Andersonville.
: Shari

Shari,

Have a little info on the fighting of June 22nd involving the 106th. They were part of the 2nd Corp (2nd Div, 3rd Brigade). They were moving west of the Jerusalem road in an effort to secure the Weldon RR. They were hit very hard by William Mahones div of A.P.Hills corp after Mahone found a covered ravine which he used to get onto their flank and rear. Most who couldn't get away in time were killed, wounded or captured. Might be when your ancestor was captured. Other then what you've written the only thing I could find on him was that he was butied in grave # 8602 at Andersonvillle, according to the Roll of Honor.

Best Regards,

Andy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ US Civil War Message Forum ] [ FAQ ]