Re: Confederates in The Attic

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ US Civil War Message Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by on November 25, 1999 at 17:33:30:

In Reply to: Re: posted by Henry Drummond on October 29, 1999 at 17:03:59:

: : : Has anyone read "Confederates In The Attic"?
: : : Is this book a true story or a novel?
: : : Is it worth reading?

: : : Thanks!

: : Excellant book Henry! Its the true story of the authors search to uncover the lasting effects of the war on the people of the south and why its so popular. Its mostly funny but he does have some sobering talks with KKK members and other neo-confederate groups. Great chapter on Shelby Foote ("At the Foote of the master"), which may surprise you if your used to the kindly, good-natured old southern gentleman from the Ken Burns "Civil War" documentary. He also spends a 3 day whirlwind civil war battlefield tour with a hardcore re-enactor ("The Civil Wargasm"), thats a riot. Hope you'll read it so we can discuss it in future posts.

: : Andy

: Thanks for the review! Sound like a good book, I will have to put it on my book list!

I'm glad I read cause it's about CW buffs,like me.It does stereotype Southerners as redneck-racist which is not the case.I've known more redneck-racists up north than South.The author(Tony Horwitz) is being sued for his treatment of the "Only Confederate Widow".All in all I can relate to this book but can't believe he met that many crazy people.I'd take it with a "big"grain of salt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ US Civil War Message Forum ] [ FAQ ]