Re: Dick Ewell

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ US Civil War Message Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy on November 04, 1999 at 20:56:23:

In Reply to: Re: Dick Ewell posted by Craig A. Rossman on November 01, 1999 at 08:47:36:

: : Any thoughts on Ewells performance at Gettysburg on the 1st day? Does he deserve all the criticism he's gotten for not taking cemetary Hill or do you think he was wise holding back considering the condition of his command and the union defences on the hill?

: Ewell was definitely more timid at Gettysburg than he was before he lost his leg. However, one must consider the situation he was working with. If I'm not mistaken, it was dark when his men approached the Union lines. Unfortunately for the south,there is no doubt that he could've done a good bit of damage had he attacked. It is my belief that he should've been removed from command after Gettysburg. Ewell was a tenacious fighter that became timid after his terrible wound. One can only imagine how such a devastating blow could affect one's mental process.

Good points Craig. Also during his convelescence (sp?)he got married and found religion, both of which made him a little more restrained on the battlefield. One has to remember that at the time of Lee's proposed attack Johnsons division was not yet on the field plus 2 of Early's brigades were nowhere near the area. All Ewell really had was Rodes division and they were pretty beat up and scattered from the days fighting. Considering this and ,as you said, the lateness of the hour, I think Ewell was wise to hold back and not risk losing what they'd already gained.

Andy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ US Civil War Message Forum ] [ FAQ ]