Re: In your travels.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ US Civil War Message Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by on November 02, 1999 at 18:21:03:

In Reply to: Re: In your travels..... posted by Henry Drummond on October 27, 1999 at 11:08:35:

: : : We've been to Gettysburg, Fort Sumpter, Antietam
: : : and many other battle sites numerous times. Where have
: : : you traveled and where do you like the most?

: : Hi Elly. Me and my family go to Gettysburg at least once a year. The kids love it and there's plenty of places for the wives to shop too. I like getting up at the crack of dawn and walking the battlefield before it gets clogged up with scout troops and tour buses. Manassas was great too. (2 battles for the price of 1). Especially the railroad cut. My favorite though is Spotsylvania. Totally untouched and very similar to the way it was 130 yrs ago. Visited the mule-shoe on a cloudy drizzly day when no one was there. It was eerie in the extreme. Planning a trip up the Shenendoah in the spring.

: I love Gettysburg and Antietam too. But for a change of pace you might like to visit some other forts that were in service
besides Fort Sumter. Near Washington DC. are several that were part of the ring of forts protecting the capital: Fort Ward is one of the best.
Then there are Forts in the South like Fortress Monroe, Fort Pulaski, Fort McAlister, etc. There are so many that you might want to get a book about them so you'll know your options.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ US Civil War Message Forum ] [ FAQ ]