Re: J.E.B. Stuart

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ US Civil War Message Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by on November 01, 1999 at 11:23:04:

In Reply to: Re: J.E.B. Stuart posted by Craig A. Rossman on November 01, 1999 at 08:56:48:

: : : What are the facts behind the whereabouts of J.E.B. Stuart
: : : during the battle of Gettysburg? Was he scouting about or was he on a "social tour"? What would be a good book to read on the subject?

: : : Thanks All!

: :
: : Thats a tough one. As I understand it J.S. Mosby had told Stuart of a route by which he could encircle the union army and still stay in touch with Lee's right, which lee insisted he do. Supposedly that route was blocked by Hancocks corp forcing Stuart to take a more circuitous route putting him out of touch with Lee. He did seem to be doing more touring than scouting though. Knowing the union army was on the move north he should have done all in his power to get on Lees right flank. Instead he raided and captured a wagon train in Rockville and dragged the train with him, slowing him down and exhausting his troops. When he finally did catch up with Lee late on the 2nd day of battle his troops were falling out of the saddle asleep. Probably had a lot to do with his poor performance against Gregg on the 3rd day.

: : Andy

: Jeb Stuart had gained notoriety and fame for making grandiose rides through enemy territory. He, like many of the Civil War generals of the time, thrived on the fame and moviestar like status. Stuart was trying to make another one of his infamous rides. Unfortuantely, this time he was unable to get back to give valuable information to General Lee - Troop dispersions, numbers, etc... Stuart should not be overly criticized for his antics, because he had been so higly praised for such behavior in the past. However, they were in enemy territory and as Lee put it, "He is the eyes of this army." As for books to read, my mind draws a blank. There are many.

I know there's a book titled "The Cavalry at Gettysburg", but I don't have it and don't know the author. Perhaps it has a lot of Stuart (pre-battle) info in it.
J. D.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ US Civil War Message Forum ] [ FAQ ]