Re: Dick Ewell

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ US Civil War Message Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by on May 28, 19100 at 17:46:12:

In Reply to: Re: Dick Ewell posted by J. D. on November 01, 1999 at 11:20:19:

: : : : Any thoughts on Ewells performance at Gettysburg on the 1st day? Does he deserve all the criticism he's gotten for not taking cemetary Hill or do you think he was wise holding back considering the condition of his command and the union defences on the hill?

: : : Funny you should mention Ewell. I just finished writing up a short biography of him for my "Leaders" page this morning!
: : : I had no knowledge that Ewell had lost a leg in 1862 and took a long time to recover. Perhaps it was because of that, he was more
: : : cautious.

: :
: : Yes...At the battle of Groveton. He was down on one knee surveying the field when a bullet shattered his kneecap then drove 3 inches down the center of his shinbone splintering that. Ouch! Then to boot the leg was amputated on the field without anesthesia. I suppose I wouldn't be trying to take any hills after that either.

: : Andy

: Much discussed, this question has many answers on both sides. I have read several opinions that Ewell was rather smart in not attacking, based on his reinforcements and the strong position. Taking CH would not have been easy by any means. I just wonder if Jackson would have stormed it without second thoughts....
: J. D.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ US Civil War Message Forum ] [ FAQ ]