Chicken Purlough (pronounced perlow)
- Kill and dress one whole chicken.
- Place in water to cover, simmer for several hours until tender. (replace water as necessary)
- Remove from fire and cool.
- Remove bones, fat and skin from chicken and feed to yard critters.
- Use remaining broth to cook rice. Add salt, pepper and other spices to taste.
- Add boned chicken when rice is partially done. You might add paprika or small red peppers to add not only taste but color.
This is a recipe handed down for many generations as almost everyone was able to maintain chickens as a farmyard food supplement. They provided eggs AND meat.
Rice was also plentiful in the south as a staple food.