Camp Herndon, Va
August 21, 2000
All Civil War Buffs:
Well, at least this is not another follow up. Just thought you might like to see my opinion(s). This was received over the weekend and I would like to share it with you.
I would like to know which five events were the most important in the civil war and why.
This is a purely subjective question and the type I really don't like to answer but since you were careful to follow the rules I set down I will give you my opinions.
(1) Major Anderson reinforcing Fort Sumter with troops from Fort Moultrie.-- The Federal Government had promised that Fort Sumter would not be reinforced while negotiations were going on for its disposition. The Confederate Government took this action to be an act of war and fired on Fort Sumter. The war came.
(2) The Emancipation Proclamation -- While this document did not free one slave it did insure that England or France would not enter the war on the side of the Confederacy.
(3) The Wounding of Joseph Johnston -- This put Robert E. Lee in command of the Confederate army in the East. Lee turned out to be what was probably the best battlefield commander on either side and without him, the war probably would have been over much quicker.
(4) The Surrender of Vicksburg -- With this city gone the control of the Mississippi was lost. With all the major seaports now blockaded by the Union, the loss of the Mississippi was the last of the great rivers to fall to Union control. The Confederacy was now isolated and it was just a matter of time before they would be totally defeated.
(5) The Appointment of Grant as Commander of all the Union Armies -- Without Grant as the overall commander the war could have dragged on for several more years.
You will notice that I have left off the one that most would put as #1, and that is the battle of Gettysburg. My personal opinion is that while Gettysburg was a great event it has been greatly over played down through the years. I feel the ones I listed are more important. Now, these are just my opinions. It does not make them right, nor does it make them wrong, it merely makes them mine.
I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,.......
I know that many of you will disagree with me but as I said these are just my opinions. Ya'll take care and I'll see ya in the room!
I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
I would agree with you on all five, however I am among those that feel Gettysburg should be in there... How about as a 4b? The reason is that Gettysburg/Vicksburg combo serverd as notification that the war was all butlost...
aka the Night OWL