US Civil War

Re-enactors Message Forum

[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: on: 12/25/2000 22:48:49 EST
Subject: RE: The Cranky Season

Message Detail:
Cranky season, indeed... days too short, nights too cold, and for me, at least, after the Holidays, I tend to just hermit!!

As for what I'm going to do in the down-time, my goal is get my kit squared away, for what will be my mere second season in the hobby. Enough of the borrowed hand-me-downs, I intend to get together a much more progressive kit! Also, I've got to start on defarbing my new Enfield, at least as far as getting rid of that nasty plasticy finish, replace it with a good hand-rubbed oil. I'll order some books, such as "Echoes of Glory," also. Plus I'll continue to maintain contact with the fellas in my unit, including more work on our website and recruiting ideas.

But mostly, I think I'm going to back away a little from reenacting stuff, at least until March or so. Let my head clear and come back with a fresh attitude and outlook. Once I have my new uniform and things to improve my kit in hand, THEN I'll start getting antsy, once again!

Meanwhile, don't talk to me until Puxatawny Phil says it's safe to come outside.... ;-)

Best regards to all,

WuzReb
aka Pvt. G. M. Poindexter
3rd Co. Batt'n Sharpshooters, McGowan's South Carolina Bgde.

Well,

It's here. There is snow on the ground, and the reenactment season has pretty much ended for another four-five months. Since I live for reenacting, this can be a rough time, and surely the withdrawal will set in very soon. Which sets up my question...

...What do the rest of you do to get through the boring Winter? In my case, I try to make a few school presentations, go to the local roundtable meetings, even though the speakers usually are not very good, clean, sew and modify my gear, read, and watch 'Gettysburg' and 'Glory' often and a lot.

What do the rest of you do until April?

Regards,
JR

View Parent Message

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:

NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for seperated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword