US Civil War

Re-enactors Message Forum

[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: on: 10/13/2000 11:28:44 EDT
Subject: Campaigning, tents and authenticity

Message Detail:
I have been pondering on something lately. Hardcore reenactors continually sing the praises of campaigning. I have done it also and yes it is appealing. I wouldn't consider myself "hardcore", but definitely far on the authentic side of mainstream. Historically, could it be accurately said that campaigning (i.e, blanket roll, knapsack only--no tents,etc.) really became the way of life for most soldiers during the last two years of the war? Prior to Grant and Sherman's approaches (exception being Jackson's foot cavalry)of everyday fighting and marching, wasn't the main way of living for the soldier to have a major fight, then garrison for a few months, then a major fight, and garrison, etc., with supplies being carried in by wagons and so forth? This would then make tent living for an early to mid-war event historically accurate, no? If this is the case, authenticity should extend to the type of camping used by the soldier at the event and time of the war. (If this is the case, campaigning at First Manassas is unauthentic). Just a thought...comments?

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:

NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for seperated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword