US Civil War

Gettysburg Message Forum

[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: on: 12/06/2000 12:38:52 EST
Subject: Gettysburg DVD

Message Detail:
Greeting folks!

I just received the Gettysburg DVD yesterday and I would like to post a few comments:

The DVD comes as one with the movie on both sides, it's 5:1 Dolby using surround with no subwoofer. I was a bit disappointed in that I was expecting the extended version (Director's cut) but this one is the original 254 minutes. The scene selection is introduced by the volleys of several cannons everytime you select a scene. It has some neat features such as being able to watch the entire movie with Commentary by director/ Screenwriter Ronald F. Maxwell, Cinematographer Kees Van Oostrum, Pulitzer Prize Winning Author James M. McPherson and Military Historian Craig Symonds, there are interviews with the film crew and actors involved. There is an additional movie called 'The Battle of Gettysburg' made in 1955 and narrated by young Leslie Nielson! I remember seeing this movie when I was about 10 years old and was hoping to see soldiers and guns firing but the movie uses the monuments and the battlefield as it looked looked in 1955 to describe the different days of the battle. It is worth seeing simply for the way the battlefield looked then (There were trees in front of the wall at the angle in 1955) Nicely filmed.

I love this movie and recommend the DVD, but keep a sharp eye for the infamous 'Director's cut' that I assume will be following.

All the best and Happy Holidays everyone!

Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:

NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for seperated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword