US Civil War

Gettysburg Message Forum

[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: on: 12/02/2000 20:00:25 EST
Subject: RE: Muster Photos

Message Detail:
I am a Brit who is very much interested in the US Civil War. It is my intention of visiting Gettysburg very shortly.
Problem is, I have recently had heart surgery.
When I finally arrive there, I would like to be on my own with my own thoughts.
I want to start the tour along the road the Confederates took on that first day. I do not want to miss anything.
I want to walk the Battlefield.
Can I do this with heart problems?
Thankyou.
Tom

Tom,
One of the beauty's of Gettysburg is that you can set your own pace in how you visit the Battlefield. Walking the battlefield shouldn'r be a problem as long as you stay within whatever limits your doctors set for you, but the field is much too big to walk the whole thing. You can drive to key points, then get out and walk to tour specific areas ie, Little Round Top, Devil's Den etc. Walking Pickett's Charge is about a mile each way, if you choose to make that walk, pick a time of day when it won't be too hot (depending what time of year you make your visit). You may want to consider stopping at the Gettysburg Battlefield Visitor's Center and either hiring a Licensed Battlefield Guide for a day, or purchasing (or renting - I don't know exactly how that works) a tape for the auto tour of the Battlefield.

If you plan to stay in Gettysburg proper, make your reservations for lodging WELL in advance. Unless you specifically want to see the annual re-enactment of the battle (not held on the actual battlefield), avoid the period fron July 1-3.

Bill N-T

View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:

NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for seperated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword