US Civil War

Gettysburg Message Forum

[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: on: 10/06/2000 15:22:38 EDT
Subject: RE: Last full measure..

Message Detail:
I took a walk through the cemetary this past Monday. I have often gone there, but this time was different. I was there to actually look up a few specific graves of Pennsylvania men. As I walked, one thing became perfectly clear.

I had always realized that there were hundreds of unknowns, but the true magnitude of the number now became apparent, and it is very sad. One wonders how many men and boys from both sides are lying underground somewhere unmarked and unknown.

Now, all the graves in the cemetary show just how sad and tragic the true story of the war was. So many dying for the cause they so strongly believed in, but too me, the unknowns are the ultimate case of sadness.

Think if you were a mother or father at home, knowing that your son(s) were off fighting the war, maybe having some contact with them by mail, and then all of a sudden, nothing. You do not have any idea what happened to them or where they ended up. Are they in a prison camp? A hospital somewhere?

Hearing the news in April of 1865 that the war ended and the boys were coming home would renew the hope, so you would wait, and wait. But, how long would you wait until you were sure your loved one(s) weren't coming home? When would the truth become apparent? Where did it happen, and how? And where are they now?

So many questions, and few, if any answers. So tragic. Losing any loved one in any war is so very tragic, but when you know the story of their deaths and where they have been laid to rest, this somewhat helps the healing process. In the case of the unknowns, the wound never even begins to heal.

Sorry for rambling, but this just hit me very hard for some reason on this particular visit, even though I've probably been there 20 or more times.

Regards,
JR

How instant does a casualty become unidentifiable? For sure at least 50% immediately. Now lay tis crumpld body in the Penn. July sun for 14 hours with heavy rain as well.Itis well we issued dog tags to the following troops , lest their loved ones never knew. War is helland there is no refining it W.T. Sherman...

View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:

NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for seperated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword