US Civil War

Gettysburg Message Forum

[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: on: 09/18/2000 16:32:45 EDT
Subject: RE: The Soldiers...........

Message Detail:
I think those who have met me, will understand my following thoughts..........

For quite some time now, I have been reflecting on the averages soldiers (Both sides) conduct in battle. While Gettysburg is my favorite place, Antietam (The Cornfield Burnsides Bridge, Dunkers Church) has its special places, Shiloh would probably the "Hornets Nest", or if we go to Petersbug its the "Crater"... My point is this. How did these folks put up with all they did and yet perform their duty? How did they persevere? In addition to Gettysburg, how about the Cornfield at Antietam? HOw many times did that change hands? Or how many times did Burnsides troops cross over that bridge, before they took the heights beyond? IN addition to Stonewalls "Foot Calvary", how did the Sedgewicks 6th Corp before Gettysburg, march 32 miles in a little over 24 hours? And in some cases go right into the fight? I still cant come to grips with their perseverance, dedication, honor, courge especially in the face of withering rifle, double cannister......... Am I the only one who struggles sooo with this???? PLease let me know here!

Thanks

Jim

No Jim, you are not alone in your wonderment...I'm also staggered by the ferocity of those encounters...how many time do we read of "clubbed muskets" being used...that sounds like pure hatred!...this between individuals of the same country...It couldn't just be the principles involved because not that many of the basic infantrymen really understood those what the real principles were...scholars are still debating that today...mysterfying! AAROGON

View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:

NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for seperated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword