US Civil War

Gettysburg Message Forum

[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: on: 09/13/2000 12:12:00 EDT
Subject: RE: Famous Graves

Message Detail:
For those who are interested in locating the gravesites of famous folks, including Civil War generals and others,
check out http://www.findagrave.com
You can search by name, location, claim to fame, birth date, etc. Many have photos of the graves. There's actually some interesting trivia here too....Did you know that Stonewall Jackson's body and his arm are buried in two different places?
Don't ask how I came by this one, it's a long story.

:-)
Bill N-T

I heard that one, too, and supposedly the arm gets quite a few visitors. I wonder if people leave lemons there? Which would you rather visit?
Pam

The arm has its own gravestone. There's an old picture of women mourners sitting around the stone... kinda weird. IIRC, the arm was buried on private property... don't know what it is today (I imagine some public entity owns it now).
I've heard strange things happen at Jackson's gravesite, when people touch the monument there...
J.D.

The arm is buried in a family cemetery at Ellwood House, which was involved in both the Chancellorsville and Wilderness battles. If you're interested, I have photographs of the gravesite and monument on my Jackson page. The National Park Service now administers the site.

Bob K.

Bob,
You've got an excellent page on Jackson. One question, - How did Robert Krick determine that that was the "exact" spot where Jackson was shot? There's not much of anything there to distinguish it from any other spot on the battlefield.
Bill N-T

View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:

NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for seperated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword