US Civil War

Gettysburg Message Forum

[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: on: 09/05/2000 13:45:56 EDT
Subject: RE: Gettysburg and should Meade have persued Lee?

Message Detail:
Well,

If they didn't attack right away, the what exactly is the point of the whole argument? The longer the wait, the harder it would have been for the attack to succeed. Look what happened when they did wait. The ANV escaped.

You lost me with this whole line of thought, pard. Sorry! I missed something.

JR

JR...apparently it's my lack of articulation, for which i apologize...maybe the point is that I do not have a point to begin with...All I was trying to say was that two armies were severely hurt - but only one was retreating! Only one had to cross a river and, at some mathmetical point, leave one half on one side and one half on the other...I do not think the issue was the type or extent of the fortifications the ANP was able to erect in a day...if they were so extensive then couldn't the AOP wait until most (half?)were on the other side and then attempt a grander-scale attack? - even over that extensive network? When I said to "wait", I only meant to "wait" until the opportune time to attack the remaining half. JR, I didn't mean to beat this to death...I'm still not convinced that the AOP made the right decision in a CONTEMPORY time frame... whether it would have worked or not is a DIFFERENT issue. Amen! AAROGON

View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:

NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for seperated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword