US Civil War

Gettysburg Message Forum

[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: on: 08/29/2000 23:48:04 EDT
Subject: RE: Gettysburg and should Meade have persued Lee?

Message Detail:
Sure, Aarogon,

Abe did agree with you. I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but rather just stating an opinion. The only person who will really know why Meade didn't push his army to pursue and attack more than it did is Meade himself.

There is a lot of speculation and validity in both points, but I just get miffed at the idea that the AoP sat back and did nothing, while the ANV sat along the banks of the Potomac, having a picnic and waiting for the water level to drop, which is what most people are led to believe. Lots of factors come into play in such a situation, many of which we probably are unaware, as we know the facts and the outcome and can make our decisions based on this.

Abe was in Washington, while Meade was in the field, noting firsthand the brutality of the fighting and actually seeing the condition of his men. Who then is a better judge of the condition of the army and its ability to do anything?

The 5000 casualties suffered by the ANV during the retreat are firtshand testimony that some pursuit and engagement did occur.

JR

View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:

NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for seperated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword