US Civil War

Gettysburg Message Forum

[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: on: 08/08/2000 13:56:12 EDT
Subject: Confederate Encroachment on Sterett's Gap

Message Detail:
Would anyone know the objective of the Confederates for marching that far north of Harrisburg let alone Gettysburg during that campaign? I can't remember the exact date when this took place. There is a stone marker in the front yard of a farmhouse on present day state route 34 that states that it is the most northern point that a body of the Confederate Army marched. This is about a half mile south of the mountain gap which is the border of Cumberland/Perry counties. The marker also states that they turned around when they received word of Union forces and milita waiting at the top of the mountain. There is another stone marker at the top of the mountain but I've been unable to read it because there is no parking along side of the road and it is near the intersection of 2 very busy roads. I don't feel like dodging cars whizzing by me at 50 mph from all 3 directions! I just find this puzzling that Confederates would march that far NW of Harrisburg. Hopefully J.D. you can shed some light since he is also a Pennsylvania native.

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:

NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for seperated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword