US Civil War

Gettysburg Message Forum

[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: on: 07/29/2000 19:56:07 EDT
Subject: RE: Re:Rebuttal to Groves' Theory...Thanks, J.D.!

Message Detail:
Thanks, J.D., for sending out the rebutall to Groves' theory on the Devil's Den sharpshooter. I haven't had the opportunity to read it yet, but can't wait! I've saved it to my hard drive.
Barb

J.D., let me add my thanks to you for sending the "rebuttal" - I used quotes because it only appears to skim the surface.... I went back to re-read Grove's report, and while I'm not convinced by all of his arguments, I'd still be interested in seeing an in-depth rebuttal....maybe someone's master's thesis in the future.

I agree - what Adelman wrote is very superficial, and mainly only attacks Groves' intentions. I would still like to see someone's point-by-point rebuttal of Groves' theory. To my knowledge no one's done that yet. We have to keep in mind that both Adelman and Smith are 'disciples' of Frassanito. For all of Adelman's investigative and research prowess, it's disappointing that he didn't get detailed in his remarks.
J.D.

Without even seeing the rebuttal yet, I'll bet they criticize Groves using his theory to market his paintings.
Bill N-T

Could we not say that Frassanito used his theory to sell his books and enhance his reputation as an authority on Gettysburg photography? To attack Mr Grove this way would be a cheap shot.

You got it, and Bill - you're exactly right. Adelman's last line is something like "it's a good marketing technique to sell his imaginitive paintings." One thing I haven't heard yet is someone's realistic attempt to refute the evidence that Groves cites. Just the "it doesn't make sense" argument. I've always wondered if the "moved downhill" theory came out first, how much the other would now hold water.
J.D.

It may not have done as well, because tyhe reason it does so well is that it puts doubt in your mind about the original theory

View Parent Message

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:

NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for seperated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword